Sunday, January 15, 2012

Fall 2011 at Bluegrass Way





Here we are at the Thanksgiving Day parade, standing near Jenny’s office in NW Portland.

I’m learning what’s involved in maintaining the new home. So many leaves! I’ve spent at least 2 hrs every weekend since we moved in with a rake and broom. Next year I’ll invest in a leaf blower! Here is a picture of my helpers one bright fall day.




 
An interesting thing happened when an apple from the tree beside the house made its way into the front yard and was swept toward the curb with the leaves and pine needles. It starting rolling! In fact, it rolled right from the driveway to the street, and then down the hill to the intersection where it met the serious dive down Hidden Springs Road. It had picked up a bounce and a good bit of speed when it disappeared from view.

After a bemused moment of “how about that!” it occurred to me that it could have been a ball that rolled down my driveway and ended up barreling down at cars climbing that hill. Imagine what a golf ball would do bouncing right into someone’s windshield. The apple had been a useful warning – to keep the balls in the backyard and make good use of the park. Fortunately, there is also a ¼ acre green space just behind the house, which counts as a field in this neighborhood. I want my kids to feel like they have space.

No comments: