Thursday, June 26, 2008

Father’s day


Catching up on recent weekends here…

We had a wonderful father’s day the weekend before last. We met my mom, dad and brother at our family farm outside McMinnville. A little history here: The farm has been in my family many generations and the farmhouse itself was built by my great-grandfather. So, when we set Oliver down to run around, my dad remarked proudly that he was the fifth generation Evers to be at that farm. My brother Joe lives there now and takes good care of the place. Mom and Dad are putting the finishing touches on a new house they just built in the hills on the other end of town.

The big event of the day was to visit the new Evergreen Space Museum, next to the Aviation Museum (home of the Spruce Goose) and IMAX theater. It’s strange to see these amazing new buildings standing just across a field from the family farmhouse, less than a mile away! The farm used to feel so remote to me, like were miles and miles from civilization, in the middle of nowhere. Now we could walk a few minutes to see NASA space capsules and missiles!

Oliver got to spend more time with my brother Joe, which I think they both enjoyed. Afterward, we met my other brother, Darren, and his kids for a big lunch. It was a great day. My mom bought Oliver an astronaut costume that he’ll fit in a year or so.


I should mention that it was nice father’s day for me too. Jenny made a nice breakfast and Oliver and I got to read the Sunday funnies together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are some very nice Father's Day pictures Oliver. That was a very exciting and fun day for you.

Tomorrow you will be 20 months old. You are getting to be such a big boy; very handsome too.

We are looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. Sorry it will be such a long ride for you but we will have lots of fun while you are here.

Hugs and kisses little man. Love you. Grandma Mimi