Sunday, December 07, 2008

Kitchen Complete!

Today marked the last major step in the kitchen remodel. I just finished grouting the tile backsplash and screwing on some fancy outlet covers. I’d almost say it’s 100% complete, except there's a corner where the doors to the outside, the basement, and the next room meet, with the last doorway converted into a spice shelf. We’re not including that corner as part of the kitchen... so we're done!

With this project, I got a little better at tiling, more confident with electrical work, and I even moved a gas valve. I learned how to plumb for and install a dishwasher, and I’m really glad I left the cabinets, the countertops, and the flooring to professionals; I would have messed them up. Most of all, we learned the good and bad of designing, buying and installing cabinetry with a big box store (rhymes with “Blowes”); there’s a reason this summer project didn’t get done till late in the year. But we’re happy with it now.

Before:








During:

After:

This is the second time I've stripped several layers of paints from an 80 year old chrome heating grate. Here's how I do it:

  1. Find a huge metal pot that you'll never cook food in

  2. Add about 1/2 cup of washing soda and several gallons of water. Mix.

  3. Heat the metal pot on your stove, camping grill, or bonfire.

  4. Cook the painted metal grate until the paint starts to peel.

  5. Pull, pick, scrub, curse.

  6. Break out the chrome polish.
Next up: Finish the garage!

3 comments:

dwip99 said...

Nice work it all looks great. When do we eat?

Autumn and Dan's family said...

Um...wow! It looks great.

Shanna said...

Wow!! That is quite a transformation. What a beautiful finished product!! Kudos!